Wednesday, February 12, 2025

My Own Card Game

 
Last summer, I spent the majority of my time refining my skills that I did not have time to touch up on during university. I started learning C++, researched documentation and some game design exercises. I wanted to push my game design skills a little further, and I realized that I was limiting myself to the digital world of gaming. So, I decided to make a game that will be played physically, and what better way to do that than making my own card game? So, in today's blog, I want to talk about my own card game, how I made it, and what I have learned from it.

I was inspired by my family's obsession with a card game called Canasta, a classic 52-deck card game that is about collecting and discarding cards until you build a row of cards. It's a very complex and very entertaining card game that my family plays for hours. I personally, however, do not enjoy it as much, as I find the complexity very overwhelming. Then again, I love playing Magic the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! Which are very complex card games on their own, but I still could not enjoy Canasta as much. While watching them play yet another round, I thought to myself: 'What if I make a card game that I would enjoy using the 52-deck cards as a base?"

So, I started researching different card games and writing down ideas. I loved the mechanic of playing face-down cards in Yu-Gi-Oh! For its suspense. You never know if they have a weak card or a very strong card, and when you attack to find out, it's usually too late. I also enjoy the simple card numbers of the 52-deck and how some cards are more valuable than others. So, I created the main mechanic of playing cards face down and revealing them to attack your opponent, and even in the earliest prototypes, this was very straight forward and engaging.

After working on various prototypes, I finally made the first version and decided to test it with my sister. She did not play Trading Card Games but had a lot of experience with the 52-deck games, and after our first play-test she suggested quite a few changes. Like an additional condition to play face cards to make them easier to play. After this, I updated the rules and started testing them with my friends on Discord, and these play-tests were super entertaining. However, it was when my friend, out of nowhere, asked me: 'Want to play your card game again?" that I knew the game was complete. It was fun, engaging and got the player hooked. I wrote down the game design document for it, and my exercise was officially finished.

Overall, I am very proud of the game, and I would love to play it with other people at some point. Although the game's name to this day does not sit well with me, and I cannot think of another name for it.

If you want to check out the game, HERE is the document!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Do you have any questions? Please leave a comment!